Owner:
mas
Member
Member#: 7693 Location: Registered: 29-06-2008 Diary Entries: 400
|
19th September 2026
Windsurfing: Bradfield Wind Direction: S/SW Wind Stength: 10/23kts Surf / Sea State: Mid Swell / Flat Air Temperature: warm Sea Temperature: warm Weather: Cloudy / sunny Max Speed: 15.8 (knots - unless stated otherwise) Distance Covered: 12nm (Nautical Miles - unless stated otherwise)
Bradfield - Saturday 19th September HT 18:00, Wind S / SW, gusty offshore,
10-23 knots forecast
Weather: Sunny intervals, cloud at times, rain at the end 23°C.
I arrived early at the Bradfield launch to sort out the chaos in my
trailer, which had become rather disorderly after the last few sessions.
The wind was offshore and the forecast suggested 10-25 knots. My own
readings showed 15 knots average with gusts to 19 knots, so it looked very
much game on. AI recommended the high-wind setup: 5.8m, 900 front wing, 330
tail, 95 fuse, -1.5 shim and mast foot 5mm aft, so I went with that. Six
sailors turned up, split evenly between wingers and windfoilers.
Unfortunately, I became the guinea pig.
As I headed across towards the far bank to find the better wind, it quickly
became obvious that conditions were much lighter than both my readings and
the forecast had suggested. In hindsight, I should have rigged the 7.8m.
There were some decent gusts, and I managed a few good blasts around
Mistley Bay where the wind was cleanest, but they were few and far
between.
The others took note of my struggle and sensibly rigged larger kit. The
windfoilers went for 8-9 metre sails, while the wingers were on 6-6.5m
wings. They enjoyed a very good two-hour session because the wind settled
at a fairly steady 15 knots.
After a long slog back, I switched to my light-wind foil setup, changing to
the 105 fuse with the 1300/500 foil combination that was already assembled.
That improved things slightly and I managed several runs between Wrabness
and Mistley, albeit at a fairly leisurely pace. Meanwhile, everyone else
seemed to be having a five-star day, blasting around fully powered on their
bigger equipment.
The session reinforced a few lessons. Firstly, at my weight, a 5.8m sail
simply isn't enough in 15 knots. It demands constant pumping to exploit
every gust. With my larger sails I rarely pump at all and can simply sail
the wind that's available.
I've also decided to stick with the seat harness and retire the waist
harness. The difference in available power is significant. Sitting into the
harness during gusts gives noticeably more drive and control.
One positive was how well the AI-recommended high-wind tuning worked. When
the stronger 20+ knot gusts did arrive, the setup felt spot on. I've never
really paid much attention to shims or mast foot adjustments in the past,
but the -1.5 shim did an excellent job of keeping the nose down when fully
powered on the 900 setup. Equally, moving the mast foot aft was something I
would never normally have considered, as I expected it to induce tail
walking. Instead, the board felt remarkably balanced and I could step into
the rear straps comfortably whenever the stronger gusts arrived.
Sadly, I finished the day as the last sailor on the water, hanging on in
hope of the stronger breeze that often accompanies high tide. It never
materialised. The wind sat stubbornly at around 15 knots all evening,
leaving me frustrated at having missed what could have been an excellent
session through another incorrect wind assessment.
We eventually packed up in the dark, with G still having two sails left to
rig down.
To add insult to injury, the day ended badly at the spa. I arrived too
late, couldn't find a parking space, and when I finally did get parked, the
place was closing.
One of those days where everyone else seemed to make exactly the right
choices, while I spent most of the session learning lessons the hard
way.
|
Toys Used:
Statsbar:

About MY Statsbar
|